Rain Water Harvesting
Collect, Store, Filter and Re-Use Rain Water
Rain water harvesting means collecting the rain water that falls on your roof surface, storing it on site, filtering it and then re-using it in place of mains water.
Rain water is one of the cleanest, most natural sources of fresh water on earth. By 2013 South Africa’s water supply will be insufficient to meet the demands of our rapidly growing population.
1mm of rainfall falling on 1m² of roof area = 1L of free water for harvesting.
Rain water harvesting REDUCES your mains water consumption, REDUCES your monthly water utility bill and REDUCES your environmental impact.
A rain water harvesting system can be installed at a variety of buildings, from offices, shops, museums and visitor centres through to universities, schools and colleges, even industrial facilities, like warehouses and factories. Hospitals, clinics, prisons and apartment blocks can also benefit from the installation of a rain water harvesting system.
Aqua-Sun builds and installs rain water harvesting systems designed and developed by the Australian company, Rain Harvesting Pty Ltd. Systems that have been designed specifically for rain water harvesting. A range of superior quality rain water harvesting products that provide clean harvested rain water with minimal tank maintenance.
First Flush Diverters
First Flush Water Diverters reduce tank maintenance and protect pumps by preventing the first flush of water, which may contain roof contaminants, from entering the tank.
Leaf eaters prevent leaves and debris from blocking gutters and entering down pipes, and keep mosquitoes, pests and other vermin out of the pipe system to the tank.
Advantages of Rainwater Harvesting
- 1 Easy to Maintain:
- Rain water harvesting systems are based on simple technology. Maintenance requires little time and energy.
- 2 Reducing Water Bills:
- Harvested rain water can be re-used, significantly lowering monthly utilities fees.
- 3 Suitable for Irrigation:
- Rain water is free from many chemicals found in ground water, making it suitable for irrigation and watering gardens.
- 4 Reduces Demand on Ground Water:
- Increases in population raise the demand for water, in some cases ground water is extracted to fulfill the growing demand.
- 5 Reduces Floods and Soil Erosion:
- Rain water harvesting helps in reduce flooding in low lying areas and also helps reduce soil erosion.
- 6 Can be Re-used for Non-drinking Purposes:
- Rain water when harvested can be re-used for a variety of different purposes instead of using pure drinking water which is fast becoming a scarce resource.
Applications for Harvested Rain Water
The water from rain water harvesting can be re-used for a number of different purposes, including:
- 1 flushing toilets.
- 2 washing clothes.
- 3 cleaning vehicles.
- 4 spraying down paving, walls and driveways.
- 5 garden irrigation.